It is impossible to get the right and chic makeup for a photo shoot, emphasizing the beauty of the model and making her face expressive, without thorough preparation and following the rules of makeup artists.
Table of Contents
Rules For Creating An Image
The makeup for the shoot should be fully consistent with the idea. The results of the session will satisfy the model if the following features of the makeup for the photo shoot are taken into consideration:
- A thorough preparation. It is based on abundant moisturizing of the skin. If the makeup is done with your own hands, you need to “rehearse” the application of cosmetics several times. There are many tutorials on the Internet to help you decide on an option and learn how to carry it out in advance. It is fundamentally wrong to start looking for solutions on the day of the shoot in the studio or outdoors. The only exception may be when using the services of a makeup artist. In any case, it is important to work carefully on the image.
- Styling, manicure, face, neck and cleavage area should be in perfect condition. Various cosmetic treatments, lotions and veils are used to achieve maximum effect.
- The right choice of makeup. Ideal makeup for photo shoots is obtained by using products with light-reflecting particles. They make your face look matte and smooth. There is no chance of creating an oily pancake effect. Lip and eye cosmetics should be chosen so as not to give the face a blue hue. An important feature of makeup products is good shading and staying power.
- Do not use shimmery shades for a photo shoot. Glitter in eyeshadows, lipstick, and other products makes the colour rendering less pronounced. This makes bright makeup look pale anyway.
- It is recommended to use all possible techniques to correct facial flaws. In order to get great pictures, you should pay great attention to the greatest idealization of all facial details. Techniques may include visually enhancing the lips, eyes and making the oval of the face symmetrical. Usually, brighteners and corrective blushes are used. The camera “absorbs” colours, so makeup should be much brighter than in real life and create a beautiful makeup look.
How To Apply Makeup For Photo Shoot
Before you do makeup for the photo shoot with your own hands, you need all the necessary cosmetics and auxiliary tools.
Step 1: A healthy and rested face
In most cases, the success of home makeup for photo shoots depends on the purity of the skin. Irritation, dark circles under the eyes, pigment spots and other defects can ruin any image. They interfere with proper accentuation and create additional problems for the photographer in the editing process.
Makeup should be applied to clean and glowing skin, even for a black and white photo shoot. It is desirable to treat problem areas and remove imperfections beforehand. On the appointed day, you should get a good night’s sleep, not drink a lot of water and not eat spicy food.
Step 2: Skin cleansing
Regardless of the makeup idea for the photo shoot, wash your face with cold water before applying it. This will narrow the pores and reduce the rate of subcutaneous sebum production. The skin is finished with a tonic.
Step 3: Create a Tone
You can apply foundation and powder to even out your skin tone for the photo shoot. You will still need to apply a special concealer to hide acne or pimples. It can also be applyd on scars and vascular lesions.
You need three foundations applied according to certain rules. The first one is chosen according to your skin tone, the second one is a shade darker and the last one is a shade lighter.
When designing the right skin tone, you need to know some rules of light and shadow:
- The lightest tone is applied to the chin, forehead, tip of the nose and near the hairline.
- Dark tone should be present at the temples and cheekbone line.
- Under and over the eyebrows, use and blend in a light shade of contour.
- The darker shade is distributed on the chin and jaw. This will help emphasize the cheekbones and make the second chin invisible.
According to the rules of makeup for the photo shoot, a face with makeup will look better if you cover the décolletage and neck with foundation. The face is finished with powder.
Step 4: Eyes
When thinking about eye makeup, keep in mind that lighting in the studio “eats up” half of the makeup and makes it invisible. Normal, natural makeup will look like she’s not wearing any makeup in the pictures. Daytime makeup looks natural in the studio photo.
For blondes and brunettes alike, use beige, olive and dark gray lipstick. To increase the volume of the lashes, it is better to apply mascara. False eyelashes are the most effective. The eyes should definitely be lined.
Step 5: Lips
If you don’t want to paint your lips, you should at least use a nude-coloured pencil for the photo shoot. This will save your lips from looking pale in the pictures. Now you need to put on lipstick of the same colour as the pencil. To make your lips stand out and expressive, the final touch is applying gloss on the upper lip.
Step 6: Eyebrows
The eyebrows receive the most attention. They determine the expression of the face. A beautiful eyebrow line can accentuate the image and vice versa. Excess hairs should be removed the day before the photo shoot. Use a pencil and brush to shape the eyebrows on the appointed day. Their shade will therefore coincide with the colour of the hair. Matte shadows can be used instead of pencils.
Step 7: Blush
When choosing the shade and the nature of the final stroke, the shape and colour type of the face is of paramount importance. For a round face, pink or beige blushes are suitable. They are distributed along the contour of the face. In doing so, move from the middle of the ears to the chin.
Blush should be darker on a wide face. This is where tan-coloured cosmetics are used. It is applied in thin lines from the chin to the ears. The borders are carefully blurred. Now the cheeks are pulled in and in the resulting dimple they are drawn with a brush. Then they are inflated and the resulting line is stretched. A dot is put in the pit under the lower lip and a thorough rubbing is done.
For a square face, use pink blush. Use it to sweep from earlobes to the middle of the chin. Blush is applied to the remaining area of the skin in neat lines. Finally, small spots are drawn at the outer corner of the eye and blurred downwards.
Owners of an oval face can use blush in any way they want. The most successful application is on the cheeks during a slight smile. After that, it is shaded downwards.
Maternity Photo Shoot Makeup
The right makeup for a pregnant woman for a photo shoot should look easy and natural. Apply light shades of shadow that are well shaded. Eyelashes are painted and unobtrusive arrows are painted on the eyes. Shades of blush and lipstick should be as natural-looking as possible.
The face should be lightly contoured. At the same time, a fresh and pleasant skin tone is created in order to remove the pallor inherent in pregnant women. The same principles are used to create makeup for a family photo shoot.
For nature shoots, makeup is expressive, but not garish. In this situation, the idea of natural makeup looks appropriate. When the makeup is made for a winter photo shoot, it is important to consider the difficult conditions of the shoot outdoors. All makeup products must be resistant. It is recommended to take a makeup kit with you to be able to refresh your makeup in the process.
Going To The Makeup Artist
If you are not confident in your own abilities, it is better to entrust your makeup for winter or summer photo shoots to a makeup artist. He will also help you if you want to create a creative or unusual makeup for the photo shoot. Some photo shoots may require makeup. Before going to the specialist, makeup is not applied to the face, just a thorough skin cleansing with a special product. If the dermis is sensitive and prone to allergies, you should warn the makeup artist about this in advance. After creating the image, it is recommended to take a few test photos and determine whether additional adjustments are needed.
Makeup for a photo shoot should be well thought out. To look stunning on your special day, you need to avoid the following mistakes:
- Unfinished stippling.
- Too dense a base.
- Brilliant Decorative Products.
- Incorrect shade of shadows and tone.
- Very bright or too faded shades of eye shadow and blush.
- Applying makeup to unprepared skin.
- Correction of eyebrows shortly before filming.
- Changing hair colour without informing the stylist or photographer.
- Serious cosmetic procedures less than a week before the shoot.
- Insomnia and bad moods.
The main secret to successful photographs is how the model’s makeup and image will be presented. If the idea requires it, you have to smile or cry with all your heart. You have to enjoy the shoot to get a sparkle in your eyes, which cannot be created by any decorative means.