Probably every woman has a favourite pair of jeans. Often over time, such a product is washed or torn in different places, and you have to buy a new thing. You can breathe life into old jeans by putting a patch, stitching or decorating them.
Ways To Sew Up
There can be several ways to mend a hole in your jeans:
- Put a patch on it;
- Decorate with applique;
- make a gizmo;
More about each of them is below.
The patch will help hide large holes in the garment. You can choose a fabric in the tone of the main material or take a contrasting one. To mask a hole or scuff, cut out any geometric shape, which should be slightly larger than the defect on the jeans. It is superimposed on the front side of the product and pinned.
Before sewing up a hole in your jeans, the piece of fabric needs to be ironed out so that it doesn’t start to tear when you wear it. Then the fabric is stitched with a zigzag machine along the edge. If you have no experience, you can pre-sweep the fabric with white thread, so that it does not spread.
You don’t need seamstress skills to attach an appliqué to a scuff or hole in your jeans. You will need a double-sided fleece or glue cobweb. The procedure should be as follows:
- A piece of fleece or adhesive webbing is cut out, slightly larger than the defect in the fabric, and attached to the jeans.
- On top of the selected appliqué and attached English pins, stitched to the edge of a few stitches.
- The product is turned to the wrong side.
- A thick cotton fabric is placed under the adhesive web and appliqué layer and ironed at high temperature for a few seconds.
The last step is to remove the threads of the stitches.
Stitching is considered a labour-intensive and complicated, so experienced sewists can only do it. The procedure consists of frequent stitching that covers the hole in the jeans. It is best to use machine stitching with a step length of 0.2-0.5 mm.
Give old jeans a new life with the help of decor. The most common embellishment options are:
The easiest way to decorate your pants is with lace. You don’t even need a sewing machine for this. A piece of decorative lace slightly larger than the scuff is put on the hole, tear or other defect, pinned with English pins and made on. Hemming should be neat invisible stitches, threads to match the decor.
Ways To Avoid Scuffs
To ensure scuffs do not appear as long as possible and not have to think about how best to decorate the hole, experts advise to follow simple recommendations:
- You can buy several pairs of jeans at once and wear them alternately.
- Avoid buying styles with a low waist. Such products are more prone to chafing. It is better to opt for models with a normal waist or a high waist.
- There is no need to buy too-tight denim pants. Experts advise choosing looser styles.
- Do not wash jeans with too much spin. It can deform them over time.
Also, when washing, zipper up and turn the garment inside out. Do not use too many stain removers and other chemical additives. They can make the fabric thinner after a few uses.
How To Darn By Hand
If the hole is not too big, you can darn it by hand. To do this, turn the garment inside out and carefully join the edges with a forward or backward needle stitch. Then it would be best if you turned out the front side and well-iron the stitched place. Remember that this type of hand darning is only suitable for holes in the form of a cut with smooth edges.
How To Sew Up A Hole In Jeans Between The Legs
This is where denim pants tear most often. Before sewing jeans between the legs, cut a patch to the size of the hole or scuff with an allowance of 1 cm and put it on the wrong side. The fabric should be in tone with the product and slightly thinner than the base material not to create additional thickness. Jeans neatly straighten and tack patch with even stitches, then stitch with a zigzag machine. You can also sew up the hole from the wrong side with a forward needle stitch, iron it out, and turn it inside out.
How To Sew Up A Hole In The Knee
Sealing up the hole on the knee is not recommended, as such a stitch would be very noticeable. It is better to make the same on the other pant leg, neatly flare the edge and decorate with beads or leave it like that. In addition, you can glue an applique or decorate with translucent lace in tone. To make the product look more effective, such decor should be repeated in a few more places. Stylists recommend decorating the edge of the pocket or side seam with lace.
How To Sew Up A Hole On The Butt
If the hole appears on the butt, you could remove it in the following way:
- Choose a fabric to match your jeans and cut a slightly larger patch. It should be thinner than the base material.
- Before you sew up a big hole in your jeans on the butt, put a patch under the cut or hole and secure it with safety pins.
- Sew on with hand stitches.
- Iron out and stitch with a narrow zigzag stitch.
In the final step, the patch is ironed again and the excess fabric is removed from the wrong side.
How To Sew Up A Hole In A Pocket
Beautifully disguising the hole that appeared in the pocket will help:
- metal fittings (e.g. rivets);
You can also sew decorative buttons or beads.
How To Beautifully Sew Up A Hole In Your Jeans
You can beautifully patch a scuff or cut it with decorative stitches. First, a patch is applied before sewing up a hole in the jeans on the knee or elsewhere, and then the patch is made with hand stitches with a single thread. Then the spot with the defect is ironed and stitched with any of the stitches of your choice:
Keep in mind that each sewing machine has its own stitches, so you can choose any stitch. Keep in mind that these stitches must cover the raw edges of the patch and the main fabric.
How To Sew Up A Hole In Jeans Without A Patch
You can do without a patch if you have a thermal pattern on hand. You can buy it at any sewing store. It can be anything from cartoon characters to flowers or geometric shapes. The thermal design is applied to the fabric’s front side, and a piece of thick cotton fabric is placed under the wrong side. This area is then ironed for a few seconds.
How To Sew On A Machine
To darn a hole with a sewing machine, you will need non-adhesive fleece. A small piece is placed under the torn area and stitched with several stitches. They should be tight to each other. Be sure to make a tack to keep the seams from spreading.
Jeans Can Easily Be Turned Into Shorts
If the jeans are not restorable or you do not know how to darn the holes properly, you can make them into shorts. To do this, you should measure the denim pants and mark where the cuts will be. It is most convenient to do this with chalk or soap. They should go as if at an angle. Then the pants are cut off, and threads are pulled from the edge to make the bottom with a fringe.
Useful Tips From The Masters
To make sure the seams are strong, the following tips are recommended:
- For stitching denim, thick plays with the number 100 are used. They help to pierce thick fabric better.
- If the place under the patch is too dense and cannot be stitched, before masking a large hole in the jeans, you should beat the product with a special tailor’s hammer or steam it with an iron.
- To make the needle easier to pass, you can put it under the thickening piece of paper, folded in several layers.
It would be best if you had little time and materials to give new life to old jeans. You can decorate them with different decorations, such as embroidery, beads, sequins or lace. This will make these pants even more beautiful than they were.