Modern stores offer a wide range of lipsticks and lip glosses for every taste and budget. On sale are the most unusual shades of blue, black and other colours for a theme party. However, there are a few ways to make your own lipstick. Original products will definitely be original, the composition will be safe and will not harm the skin, and the cost will be lower than in a store. It is important to choose the right recipe and do not be afraid to experiment.
Table of Contents
Pros And Cons Of Homemade Lipstick
Despite the abundance of products in stores, there remain those who prefer homemade cosmetics. In addition, such products are in demand, so masters have no problem selling them to all comers. Those who have already managed to experience handmade cosmetics, made with quality and with soul, can highlight several advantages:
- cost – it does not include store markup and labor costs;
- availability – missing ingredients can be bought or ordered from an online store;
- composition – lipstick can be made from natural and safe ingredients.
However, it takes practice to make a product that won’t differ from store-bought ones. It is difficult for beginners to use pigments and calculate their quantity to get the right shade. In addition, the shelf life of homemade cosmetics is shorter, but it can be extended by adding special preservatives.
Prepare Tools And Ingredients
Lipstick is made of several ingredients. The ingredients in many recipes are interchangeable, but there are basic groups without which it is impossible to do without. To prepare this remedy, you may need the following ingredients:
- base – this fraction is represented by wax, as well as oils, some recipes include petroleum jelly;
- additional fraction – vitamins and nutrients;
- dyes (natural or purchased), flavorings, flavor additives;
- Preservatives – optional, used to extend the shelf life.
You should also prepare in advance the tools and utensils for making lipstick. You will need a large container with mixed ingredients, a syringe and a dropper, and a small spoon for stirring. To store the finished product, you can take a jar or a special fondant container (you can use an empty container from purchased cosmetics).
The most effective way to prepare for the process is to watch how to make lipstick at home on video. Many masters are not afraid to share their secrets and make instructional videos. Here you can see how each step of the preparation is carried out and the result is obtained.
How To Create A Beautiful Colour At Home
The simplest recipe is a colourless hygienic lipstick or gloss. These products are tasteless and odorless, but they moisturize your lips well and are suitable for everyday makeup. You can buy special pigments to add colour – they are sold in specialized stores. On the other hand, natural dyes are simple, affordable, and provide no less saturated and bright colors.
Bright red lipstick should be in every makeup bag. It is suitable for the daytime image, but it looks especially effective in the evening. If you do not have special pigments at hand, you can make it yourself from products with a high content of natural dyes:
- beet juice;
- alkana root, dried and crushed into a powder.
To obtain a rich pigment, the sliced beets should be soaked for 2 days in liquid oil, which will then be used to prepare the lipstick. The powder is added to the melted oil in a 1:2 ratio, and then cooled and filtered through gauze. The tinted oil will give a bright red hue to the finished product.
Dark brown shades look expensive and never fall out of style. Safe and natural additives can easily replace buyable pigments. For example, ground cinnamon will add a brown hue and a special flavor – add it to well heated oil, and then strain it if there are particles that have not dissolved. Cocoa powder dissolves perfectly and gives the product a fallrgeous chocolate hue, smell and taste.
With wax texture drawing crayons, you can make any colour of rainbow lipstick. You need to crumble them and combine them with regular wax, which makes up the majority of the lipstick. In addition, edible crayons are now on sale. They are designed to keep kids from getting poisoned by accidentally putting them in their mouths. However, they are also used for mixing black, green, blue, purple and other lipsticks.
New Lipstick From Leftovers
If you have a few lipsticks in your cosmetic bag that are almost over, you don’t have to get rid of them right away. Instead, you can make a radical new shade out of them and use them for a long time to come. The procedure is simple and can be done at home:
- Take out all the leftover lipsticks and collect them in one container.
- Melt the mixture in a water bath and mix thoroughly.
- Draw the mass in a syringe and fill one of the containers, well cleaned of its contents.
The finished lipstick should be kept at room temperature until it hardens. You can add glitter and flavorings to the mixture to freshen the product up a bit.
How To Make Lipstick From Shadows
Eye shadow can be used as a colouring agent. Beige, burgundy, brown, black, matte or glitter – in their range you can always find the right option. Shadows should be added to the melted mass and mixed thoroughly so that the pigments are evenly distributed.
Lipstick Technology At Home
Cooking fudge at home is available to everyone. There are a huge number of recipes and variations, but the basic technology remains the same. The process will take no more than half an hour if you prepare all the necessary ingredients in advance.
- The first step is to heat all the substances in a water bath. To do this, fill a large container with water and put it on the fire, bringing the liquid to a boil. In a small saucepan, put all the ingredients for lipstick, and place the container so that its bottom is slightly submerged in water.
- The wax and oils quickly become hot and liquid. At this point you can remove the container from the fire and add additional ingredients: pigments, flavorings, glitter and sweeteners.
- The liquid mass needs to be poured into containers before it hardens. To do this, you will need an ordinary syringe – you can buy it at the drugstore.
It is important to follow the proportions when making lipstick. Wax, liquid oil and solid oil are combined in a ratio of 3:3:4. To measure their quantity, you can use a kitchen scale or measuring spoon.
Recipes For Different Kinds Of Remedy
Lipstick recipes can be changed and combined with each other. The number of additional ingredients is unlimited. If desired, you can combine components for volume and vitamin complexes, as well as add a bit of glitter and fragrance.
How to make hygienic lipstick
Hygienic lipstick is a must-have in every makeup bag. It is colourless, protects lips from wind and sun, adds natural shine and volume. A high-quality product does not smudge, applies evenly, may have a pleasant smell. It can be prepared according to the following recipe:
- Combine the wax and solid oil (cocoa, avocado, coconut or other), cook in a water bath until melted.
- Remove from the heat, pour the liquid oil (olive oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil).
- When the mixture cools slightly, add 1-2 drops of essential oils as desired.
For hygienic lipstick, you can use an ordinary lipstick maker. If you don’t have one at home, you can use a small glass or aluminum jar. It is convenient to store the product in such containers and apply it with a brush.
Lipstick for herpes
The recipe is not much different from making an ordinary hygienic lipstick. The difference is that together with the liquid components you will need to add an ampoule of vitamin E (tocopherol). The composition of such a lipstick differs from pharmacy ointments, but it is effective against herpes manifestations. Vitamin A improves the condition of the skin and prevents scarring.
Lipstick for voluminous lips
The secret to creating voluminous lips is cosmetic mica. It is a mineral pigment that refracts light and gives your lips a pearlescent sheen. It is available in various shades, you can also buy a colourless version. Micah, together with dyes and a drop of essential oil, is added to a slightly cooled wax mixture and mixed thoroughly.
It is also made according to the standard recipe. Its difference is its oily texture, which is well absorbed and moisturizes the lips. For this, you can slightly increase the concentration of solid oil and reduce the amount of wax. A few drops of vitamins A and E will be of additional benefit – you can buy them at the drugstore. After curing, it is better to store the lipstick at room temperature or in a cool place, and when applying it also use a lip pencil – so it will not extend beyond the contours.
There is one way to make ordinary lipstick matte. To do this, you need two additional components – zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. They are safe for health and are widely used in the manufacture of cosmetics. 80 ml of the first and 10 g of the second are enough for the lipstick, which is prepared from 20 g of wax. And you can also do makeup so that the glossy lipstick seemed matte. To do this, after it is applied, the lips are covered with a dry napkin, and then powdered with a brush.
Shiny lipstick for voluminous lips
Bright glitter in the lipstick is especially suitable for young girls. And the soft pearlescent shade looks appropriate for older women. In addition, the gloss visually enhances the lips, making them softer and more voluminous. There are several ways to achieve this effect in the cosmetics of its own production:
- Mica is a mineral pigment that can be used for lipsticks and lip balms as well as eye shadows and skin lotions;
- The regular glitter – it looks good in glosses and lipsticks with a liquid texture, it should be added at the last moment and mixed well;
- shimmer shadows – they can also be used to create an author’s lipstick.
Lipstick with glitter can be colourless, but the product looks stylish in a variety of shades. For a carnival costume, you can add bright glitter of extreme color. Mica gives a soft pearlescent effect, it can be combined with larger glitters.
This permanent colourless lipstick can protect your lips from the sun and wind, as well as a makeup base. It is prepared based on wax and natural oils, with the addition of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. A product like this is almost invisible on the lips, so it is perfect for discreet business attire. For the lipstick to have an additional beneficial effect, it can be prepared with the addition of a vitamin complex (A and E).
Translucent Palm Oil Lipstick
Palm oil is often used to create cosmetics. When used externally, it is safe and positively affects the skin. As part of the lipstick, it gives lips a soft shine and visually creates additional volume. It can be prepared according to the following recipe:
- Measure out the solid components: 6 g of wax (you can take different kinds) and 6 g of palm oil.
- Prepare the liquid fraction – it consists of natural oils (jojoba, grape seed, olive) in a volume of 6 ml, you can also add 0.5 ml of silicone.
- Cook the lipstick according to the basic scheme and pour it into tubes.
Palm oil lipstick looks gorgeous in different shades. It is better to wear protective gloves when working with ready-to-use dyes – these substances stain the skin quickly and are highly resistant.
Recipe without Vaseline
Most lipstick recipes are offered without Vaseline. This substance is not meant to be consumed internally, and some of the lipstick, even when carefully applied, ends up in the stomach. As a substitute, natural wax is used – it melts easily and adheres well to the lips. There are many waxes for cosmetics: beeswax, carnauba, jasmine, Brazilian and others. You can find them in specialized stores.
Nevertheless, it is possible to try to make a remedy using this substance. The easiest way to make lipstick from petroleum jelly is to combine it with a small amount of loose shadows. It is better to pack the ready mixture in a small jar and apply with a brush. For everyday use, this option is not the most convenient and safe, but it will solve the problem of finding extraordinary shades for a costume party.
Wax crayon pomade
To make a lipstick, you will need chalk of the desired shade, as well as liquid and solid oils. The chalk replaces wax in this recipe, so its proportions are calculated on the basis of the amount of oils. The mixture is prepared in a water bath, adding the ingredients gradually, and adding the essential oils and glitter at the end. The range of colours of crayons is not wide enough, but they can be combined until the desired shade is obtained.
Chewing gum lipstick
Regular chewing gum retains dyes well, so it can be added to lipstick. In addition, it is safe and will not harm you, even if you eat a small amount of it. Two gum is heated in a water bath or in the microwave with the addition of dye, and then stirred and transferred to a storage container. It is not recommended to add glitter to this recipe.
Useful Tips And Tricks
Masters who are engaged in creating natural cosmetics can give some tips on what you can make from ordinary lipstick and how to make it yourself. Here are collected the most relevant of them:
- Do not be afraid to use food colourings and flavorings: cinnamon, vanillin, fruit extracts and any other fragrances remain on your lips for a long time;
- Lipstick can be not only beautiful, but also useful: aloe vera, vitamins, and natural oils perfectly soften and moisturize the skin;
- Some essential oils can give your lips not only fragrance but also volume, especially peppermint, pine and cinnamon oils;
- Vaseline and castor oils, as well as regular petroleum jelly are well absorbed into the skin, so adding them in small quantities will improve the durability of cosmetics;
- turmeric and sea buckthorn oil are particularly colourfast, but difficult to remove from the skin.
Natural cosmetics remain in fashion. To create a truly useful lipstick that is as good as store-bought, you don’t need to attend special courses or be trained by professionals. All the necessary components are sold in stores at an affordable price, and recipes are publicly available.