The question of how to choose foundation is critical for every woman who wants to look flawless at any time. That is why applying foundation is one of the obligatory stages of makeup preparation. It is a makeup product that can not only decorate, but also care for the surface of the skin, thanks to its individual characteristics. Therefore, it should not be neglected, even if you do not have problematic skin.
Table of Contents
The main reasons for its use are:
- The need to cover up the acne of problem skin;
- Camouflage pigmentation;
- Visually reduce the number of facial wrinkles;
- Face Contouring;
- The ability to perfectly even out the tone;
- Moisturize dry skin;
- Providing complete care for your skin throughout the day;
- Protection against the negative effects of the environment;
- Preserving the youthfulness and health of the skin.
Even if you have perfect skin (which is very rare), in which case you need a foundation to make it glow or matte, depending on the time of day.
Top 10 Recommendations For Choosing A Foundation
Even when you use the most expensive foundation, if it is not chosen correctly, it can cause unwanted rashes and even allergic reactions on the skin. This happens especially if your skin is sensitive. Using the following recommendations, you will be able to choose the right foundation for yourself. You will be able to surprise others with a fresh look, regardless of the time of day and night, so that your skin does not become problematic.
Here are the top 10 tips from makeup artists on how to choose a foundation:
- Guided in the choice of the criterion of price/quality – as a rule this requirement meets the manufacturers of famous brands.
- Focus on the problem you want to get rid of – choose protective foundations, whitening, moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, etc.
- Consider seasonality – the needs of the skin change depending on the season, especially if the skin is dry or sensitive.
- In summer, even problem skin needs hydration, sun protection and matting.
- In winter, it is right to choose a thick, greasy “foundation”, even if your skin is not dry, because cold temperatures dry out the face and even oily skin can make sensitive.
- For daytime and evening out, you’ll need two different creams. In the first case – one that fully matches your skin tone, in the second – one that provides radiance.
- The cream should not clog pores, even if your skin is not sensitive.
- Avoid using professional foundations – they are good for formal occasions, photo shoots and video shoots, but if your skin is problematic, with their abuse, rashes will increase.
- Using foundations of several shades (or at least two), you can make a perfect face contouring (it is common to structure it to get the shape of the oval, highlighting the cheekbones with a darker colour of “foundation” or bronzer).
- Once you have chosen “their” foundations for the summer and winter time, not necessarily change them after a while (that the problem skin gets used to the effect of certain means – a myth).
Using the recommendations presented here, it will be much easier for you to choose a foundation individually for your skin. Next, let’s discover more secrets on how to choose the right foundation.
Skin Type Matters
Creams are suitable for different skin types. Too greasy for oily skin can cause rashes, and insufficiently moisturized for dry skin can cause peeling and inflammation.
Here are the rules for choosing a foundation, depending on skin type.
If the skin is dry, it needs to be moisturized, so choosing a foundation with the appropriate components is better. In addition, such creams are characterized by a lower content of pigment dye. This is so that it does not clog wrinkles, making them less noticeable and giving dry skin a freshness.
Oily (problematic) skin
Use a special “foundation” for oily skin. It is characterized by a dense texture, mattifying properties, does not contain essential oils and absorbs sebum particles, improving skin condition.
About 80% of women have this type of skin (oily at the nasolabial triangle and dry on the cheeks and forehead). For them, it is better to use a foundation to mask imperfections. It will be best to buy two different creams: one that matches your skin little (to cover the whole face, including the dark areas) and the second – a little darker (for the nose and cheekbones).
You can buy a foundation with a lifting effect for age makeup (after 35-40).
- It masks imperfections;
- Distributes an invisible microfiber mesh on the skin, tightening fine lines and wrinkles;
- Visually makes the face look younger;
- Stimulates the circulation of blood cells in the skin;
- Slows down photo aging.
Modern foundation can not only mask appearance imperfections, but also “build” your face and protect it from the appearance of imperfections.
How To Determine Your Skin Type
To determine your skin type, use a simple napkin (if available, you can use litmus paper) folded four times. Spread it out and place it on your face:
- In those places where it became a little wet or oily – the skin is oily (although if the skin is problematic, it is noticeable to the naked eye because of acne);
- The cloth remained clean – your skin is normal or dry (the presence can also see this of peeling and a feeling of tightness of the skin of the face after contact with water);
- If your forehead is dry and your cheeks have oily spots (or vice versa: your forehead, nose and chin are oily and your cheeks are dry), you have combination skin.
Unfortunately, normal skin is very rare these days. It is characterized by sufficient moisture and almost no rashes. Such owners are lucky, but this does not mean that they do not need to use foundation, because “foundation” will help protect it from the effects of environmental pollution.
There is no doubt that the skin, over the course of life, can change due to various reasons, which is why it is best to perform the test with a tissue or at least determine the skin type by eye, before selecting a foundation.
How To Apply Foundation
It is imperative not only to choose the right cream for oily, dry, normal or combination skin, but also to apply it to achieve a natural skin tone. Stick to the principle: the thinner, the better.
Makeup artists recommend the following products:
- With your fingers (first spread it well on your skin, and then pat a little on the areas, so that the shade of foundation completely merges with your shade);
- Use a sponge (it’s best to use a light, patting motion);
- Use a brush (use only synthetic ones, spread the cream on the surface of your face).
It is imperative to stick to a uniform technique of applying the product: from the chin, then, across the cheeks and cheekbones, and finally on the forehead. The colour should merge into a single whole, so make sure that there is no border between the “foundation” and the skin.
Keep in mind also that if your skin is sensitive, it is better to try the product on an inconspicuous area of your face or neck. To fix the foundation, it is recommended to spritz it with thermal water on top.
Skin Tone Foundation By Skin Colour
The fact that when choosing a foundation, its shade should be tested on the wrist is a myth. This is because the skin on the hand and face are different in colour and features. You should test the product in practice, using samples, applying a thin layer of cream, and then looking in the mirror.
And the product should be applied only in daylight so that you can better see its colour. Do not get upset if you did not have a sample and bought a cream a shade darker or lighter than necessary – simply buy a second “foundation” of the same brand and use it for contouring or mix colours to get the right shade for your skin.
Experts note that it is much easier to get a darker shade than a lighter one. This can be obtained by mixing the colour in different proportions or by simply adding a day cream.
Types Of Foundations
Conventionally, foundations are divided into categories.
Light texture, smooth, ideal for oily and combination skin. As a result, it is designed to mask vascular “stars”, wrinkles, even out the texture and complexion, and protect the skin from UV radiation. It rinses off easily under running water.
A rich texture. Ideal for dry and normal skin. It is designed to moisturize the skin and give it a healthy colour and appearance.
It is essentially a liquid powder that applies quickly and mattifies well. It is ideal if you are used to choosing between powder or foundation.This product cannot be applied on top of the usual powder. It is ideal for oily and combination skin.
Using the recommendations presented above, you can easily choose the right foundation for every day and for holiday occasions.