Curly or wavy hair is undoubtedly beautiful. But the owners of unruly hair need to take special care of their hair.
In addition to shampoos, masks and other cosmetics, the main tool for care is a comb.
The comb is chosen based on the following criteria:
- Skin type. It can be dry, oily or damaged.
- Therefore, when choosing a comb, it is essential to pay attention to the material from which it is made.
- It is crucial to determine the task entrusted to the selected brush.
- It is worth mentioning that to avoid traumatizing the skin and not making the hair brittle, combs should not have sharp edges, and their teeth should be rounded.
Table of Contents
What Comb To Choose According To Your Hair Type
- For long curls are suitable brushes or massagers with rare teeth, a tool with frequently spaced teeth untangling long curls will not work.
- If your hair is medium length, use a half-circle model, ideally a medium-sized brush.
- For short curls – brush with short teeth. And to form a volume hairstyle, a small-diameter brush is suitable.
- If you need to straighten wavy hair, you should choose a straightening brush.
- The thick and rigid curls should be combed with special combs with rare and flexible teeth.
- If the strands are sparse, they can be ideally combed with a massager or a skeleton comb.
- For hair prone to dryness and fragility, it is better to buy a comb with natural bristles or silicone material.
- Only a brush with natural bristles should be used to comb out strands extensions.
How To Comb Curly Hair Correctly
- Short curls
Shoulder-length curls don’t tangle as much, making them easier to comb. You brush them from the roots and then all the way through. It is better to choose a tool with a wide surface.
- Long curls
To detangle long curly hair, comb through, first from the roots and then gradually move to the tips. It’s not a good idea to make any sudden movements.
- Wet hair
Generally, experts do not advise combing the strands immediately after washing. Since they can be damaged and brittle, but if they are still tangled, we should use the same principle, starting from the roots and then gradually moving to the ends. For brushing wet hair, the Tangle Teezer brush is suitable.
Below are the main characteristics of brushes for curly hair.
Comb with natural bristles
When choosing such a brush, it is worth looking closely at what the handle is made of. The product will be convenient if it has a handle of silicone or rubberized material. When styling with a hair dryer, such a brush will not slip out of your hands.
The hair should be natural. If possible, it is better to buy a brush with the bristles of a wild boar. Such a brush does not damage the hair structure or the skin on the head, untangles long curls, and does not electrify the hair. It promotes a massage effect and makes the hair smooth, making it shiny.
This brush is the most hygienic, easy to wash, and easy to make a comb.
But it is worth noting a few disadvantages.
It electrifies the hair. To avoid this, it is necessary to buy with antistatic coating. It quickly gets dirty.
Silicone or carbon brush
These professional new products are in high demand. It is an excellent option for curly curls. It does not electrify the hair, is suitable for all hair types, brushes gently, and is easy to care for.
It is a natural material that is environmentally friendly and safe. It is suitable for combing wet curls. It does not heat up when drying with a hair dryer. It is easy to use, does not slip in your hand, and has a massage effect.
The most uncomfortable option for curly hair. It can break and tear the curls and damage the skin on your head.
It usually has a rectangular shape, a soft cushion and a comfortable handle. It is designed for any type and length of hair. Such a massager combs and massages the scalp. It improves blood circulation, which consequently enhances hair growth.
An ancient type of comb is still relevant today. Good for detangling medium-length curls and short hair. The comb should have fine teeth if the hair is soft and thin. And if the hair is hard and thick, the teeth should be rare.
A round comb with steel, combination or synthetic teeth. The diameter of the brush is chosen according to the length of the hair. The shorter the hair, the narrower the brush.
The brush has a flat base covered with straight, dense or sparse bristles of varying lengths. The heated air of a hair dryer will pass well between them. It perfectly detangles curly hair and creates volume at the roots.